Sunday, March 20, 2011

Frozen Memories

I must be a glutton for punishment, because I said yes to a THIRD date with John for last weekend. All he would tell me is that we were going on an adventure with his roommates. Sounds like potential fun could be had… but what kind of adventure? That would be a secret.

I got a call on Friday night asking if we were still on for Saturday. I was fine with that and asked what time he would be coming by… he wasn’t sure. He had to work in the morning and didn’t know when he would get back. He said he would call me in advance though to give me time to get ready. When I asked about apparel for the activity, he responded that jeans and a t-shirt would be fine.

Saturday came and I decided that I would sleep in a little bit. After getting out of the shower and blow-drying my hair I heard my phone go off – a text message. It was 11:45… and he would be there at 12 to pick me up. Uh…. !! I quickly grabbed a t-shirt, put on my jeans and then had to think about footwear. I wanted to be cute, and it was pretty warm that week so I decided on sandals.

I had just finished getting ready when he got to the door. We left and headed to his house to catch-up with his roommates before the adventure would begin. We got there to an uneven number of guys and girls – group hangout, I can do that. Then his roommates start loading a couch into a truck. And then a love-sac into another truck. Still no explanation on what we were doing.

We started driving south on the freeway, and I began to tell a story about a previous date that I went on that we headed this same way and had this awful hiking experience in the canyon [My bad – don’t bring up previous date experiences on dates. Where were my manners?]. Then we started driving into the same canyon… great.

The trucks pulled off to the side of the road where we were told that we would be going off-roading. The guys lifted the couch onto the back of the truck where it would be facing forward like regular seats and then proceeded to tie the couch to the bed-frame. Me and a few of the other girls just looked at each other with a “Are they really expecting us to sit on a couch that is tied to the back of a truck?” face and started to think about all the things that could go wrong in this situation.

But heck, we were there, so we might as well try it. While they were finishing tying the couch to the truck, the other driver took a few of us on the trail while laying on the love-sac. We didn’t get very far before we started getting stuck in the snow and decided to turn back.

When we got back the other truck was ready and a group went off to try the road again, gunning it to make it through the snow. About 15 minutes later we saw one of the guys running back on the road, coming to get us because the truck had slid off the road, hit a few trees and was now stuck. We all climbed into the other truck and headed onto the road to save the stranded group.

Farther up the mountain means more snow – obviously – and I was very glad of my footwear choice from the morning; Not. As everyone else helped to get the truck back on the road, I sat in the other truck being lame with my feet freezing.

On our way back down the hill, the truck I was in decided to get stuck – Great. I began shivering when my feet were starting to be covered by the snow as I climbed out of the truck to help lighten the load. Finally we got the truck unstuck and we headed back downhill, but then the engine stopped working.

So either we were out of gas or something broke. Luckily, we were headed downhill so we just kept rolling. Once we got to the bottom of the hill the guys began examining the car to find out why the truck wouldn’t start again: the air-intake valve had come off. After a few minutes we were on our way back home, covered in mud, shivering from the cold, but laughing about the experiences of the day.

------

Date Tip: Knowing what to wear on the date is important, especially when it comes to events that are held outside. I would have had SO much more fun if I had been prepared. Keeping the activity a secret sometimes makes it more fun, just know what is needed… And even if you don’t think about it before picking up your date, I’m sure they will appreciate being able to change before leaving rather than having to be uncomfortable.

------

I did have fun on the date, and it sure was an adventure. Something I’m not likely to forget for a while.

Until next time, Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment